Welcome to YOUPEDA
Youths for Peace Building and Development in Africa- (YOUPEDA) is a non-governmental, non-political, non-religious and not- for profit making youth network formed in 2005 for peace, youth and development. YOUPEDA invests in peace education, conflict prevention, advocacy, research and training to the young people. YOUPEDA is broad – base peace building and development organization for youths. YOUPEDA has a legal status and registration with the Cooperate Affairs Commission of Nigeria (CAC) in 2008 with CAC/IT/NO: 27223. The organization is open to young adults of all ages who believe in the overall objectives and development efforts of YOUPEDA.
YOUPEDA works by creating, applying and spreading knowledge and life of peace in the society using the young people in their communities and neighborhoods.
YOUPEDA’s philosophy and doctrine of practice is based on peace, bringing peace and making peace where it is needed; not only in crises situation, conflicts, wars or political disunity among citizens and their nation; rather YOUPEDA’s firm conviction for peace also extends to creating opportunities for good governance, representative leadership and accountability via training, research, advocacy, debates, speeches, declarations, seminars, rally and meetings, etc. YOUPEDA believes that peace is a strong democratic developing instrument to improve the lives of citizens. Peace promotes economic, social, political and international freedom; addresses the internal and external elements associated with tribal, ethnic, racial and religious differences for the development of the people. Since good governance brings peace and development; the youth organization uses all available positive tools to ensure peace in communities, states, families, institutions and nations in Africa.
Repositioning young people for Africa.
Inspiring lives through peace and participation.
Our Core Goal and Values:
To establish the true culture, attitude of peace for development with high profile of integrity, justice, determination, creativity, handwork and ethics; at the climax of our work is our full commitment to:
- Value for human life
- Respect for the dignity of life of individuals
- Respect for diversity and differences, and promotion of equality
- Full support for community and family values.
- Equality for sex, race, colour, age, language, religion, political, birth, physical, mental disability, health status, sexual orientation, civil, political and social status.
- Addressing social and economic problems and foster social justice.
- Locally contribute to the United Nations social and economic youth related development strategic goals and objectives.
Involvement of young people and the Communities:
Our objectives: YOUPEDA was formed:-
- To develop and ensure a peaceful society of youths and children devoid of violence, civil unrest and such negative occurrences
- And reduce youthful crime and abuse of amphetamine type stimulate.
- To promote youth led programs in communities to bring about peace and reduce violence
- Mobilize youths to participate in and lead non-violent activities and build good relationships among youth from different communities, ethnic groups and castes.
- Promote participation of youth in community service projects, dialogues and decision-making forums.
- To create channels of communication and interaction thereby promoting multi-dialogue between Religions in Nigeria so that the members of both faiths may have mutual understanding of each other’s religious position, co-existence among all the people of Nigeria irrespective of their religious or ethnic affiliations.
- To promote and inculcate moral. Ethical, social and cultural values of the two faiths for the rebirth and rebuilding of a better society.
- To create an alliance and network with organizations of similar aims at home and internationally, for the furtherance of the objectives of the organization
- To conduct regular all inclusive discourse for African development and make situational analysis- reports to African governments, private sector, interested individuals, professional bodies and other related institutions for good policies, programmes and implementation.
- To encourage women to seek, participate and contribute to leadership development and growth in Africa.
- Engage in international exchange programmes in peace issues, education and capacity development, trainings and voluntary supports.
- To develop broad spectrum capacity and systems frame to handle any emerging issues in African development.
Funding source: The organization funding source has been mostly individual donations, philanthropic gestures and gifts from public spirited individuals and organizations. Also World Faith (WF) in New York has supported organization in 2010 with capacity building and field visit. United Network of Young Peace Builders (UNOY) has also supported YOUPEDA through small project funds in research, advocacy and enterprenuaerhip through EVS. Search for Common Ground (SFCG) and YOUPEDA has partnered alongside in county and at global level in advocacy success and pursuit of youth, peace and security agenda.
Donations Received: YOUPEDA received in 2009/10 two HP laptops from Benez Global Enterprises for the work we did in Kano and Abuja in sensitizing young people on peaceful elections.One Dell laptop was also donated to YOUPEDA by World Faith in New York for our work with the Internally Displaced Persons in Abuja and in Nigeria as a whole.From 2005 to 2011, Aleyamoore Group International contributed to the payment of our office rents to the tune of 15,000,000 naira only.In 2012/13- the Morgan’s donated 3 desktop computers to make YOUPEDA work effective and achieve more results.
In 2014, Beef Jerky Inc., in Tennessee donated a brand new Projector to the organization for its work.From 2012 till date- Onyeka Desmond, a business man based in Lagos and Abuja, has contributed to the office rents and other administrative costs to the tune of Eight million naira (N8, 000,000).
Formation of Peace clubs: from 2005 till date, YOUPEDA formed, revived and rebranded over 754 peace clubs across Abuja and other states of the federation.
Participation in local and international trainings and meetings: YOUPEDA’s staff and volunteers operates the platform of give and take formula, even as we train others, we have also received technical trainings from other partners in New York, Kenya, Netherlands,Brussels, South Africa in various areas including, Media advocacy, Lobbying, Grant writing, Monitoring and Evaluation, Networking, partnership and institutional development management, research, Preventing/countering violence extremism.
Amman Declaration and UNSC 2250: For three years and more, YOUPEDA alongside Search for Common Ground (SFCG), UNOY, UNFPA, UNDP, and about 15 foreign missions in New York advocated and lobbied of the adoption of UNSCR 2250.
Rapid IDP assessment and Medical Outreaches: for the past three years, YOUPEDA, Traffina foundation and Pro- Health International has focused on surveying the situations at the various camps ( 5 camps) in Abuja an its surroundings to provide social, economic and medical support for the persons in the camps. Between 2014 and 2015, we had reached 9,689 internally displaced persons in Nasarawa and Abuja with medical needs, linking them to health facilities for those of the women that are pregnant.
Educational Support and Literacy Education for women and children: In 2013 to 2015, a camp in Durumi Abuja was identified, and YOUPEDA and Traffina Foundation partnered to provide the children with class room seats, uniforms, and voluntary teachers. 240 children who have lost out of classes since the insurgency were brought back to class to learn how to read and write and communicate very well.
Some of the Successes Achieved:
- Increased awareness and skills to participate in peace education/li>
- Improved knowledge on the state of youth violence in our society.
- Improved skill in advocacy and strategies conflict prevention.
- Establishment and formation of non-violence/peace clubs in schools
- Reached and trained 543 young people (both male and female) in
- the North on identity base conflicts
- Engagement of the government to provide security and fair leadership at the local and state levels
- Setting up class rooms for children for literacy basic education.
- Trusteeship: YOUPEDA has men of credible character as Trustee members, they include: Dr. Laz chijioke, Muza Andrew, Onybuchi M.J Ugoh, Emmanuel Chinonyerem; one of the trustee is late – a woman.
International Steering Committee: Apart from the Trusteeship, YOUPEDA just came up with an idea of international steering committee which constitutes of experts in field of conflict, peace resolution, field humanitarian sector, education, security and other fields that advice the origination and meeting timely to strengthen it in achieving its goals and mission.
Geographical areas: Our membership covers most states in the Northern Nigeria and South-West including FCT.
Funded Project So far:
The project or programme that has been handled and implemented by YOUPEDA with funds support as stated above is about N28, 000,000 from the individuals, philanthropists, UNOY, EVS and membership dues. So far we have worked in Kano, Plateau, Borno, Adamawa, Anambra, FCT, Gombe, and Ondo strongly through our NYSC corps orientation intervention.
Program Management Team
The projects and activities of the organization funded by partners and donor agencies been managed, and supervised by the program management team of YOUPEDA. The team is made up of young people who are professionals, vibrant intellectuals and creative to cause the change young people would love to see in our time peace, youth and participation.
It all started way back between the University and being marshaled out in 2003 as a corps member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) posted to Sokoto state in the North West of Nigeria; under the state Islamic Sharia law. With tense and increasing conflicts, killings, destruction of lives and properties almost in all the Northern States; what seemed impossible became possible; taken a bold step to mobilize, organize and coordinate the first CHRISLAM by organizing both Christian and Muslim Corps to forge and discuss the path to peace and end violence among millions of youths and other Nigerians.
With one two staff volunteers to over one hundred across Nigeria and Africa.
It was realized that changing our communities from foes to friends, reducing the volume of violence and making the world system to be more sensitive towards dialogue and community solidarism.
Obi is raising up a new generation of Youth and Peace Champions in Nigeria and Africa that will practically revolutionize the peace movement and reduce violent extremism.